The best way to protect your iPhone will be to invest in an iPhone case. Here are a list of popular case types. Select any iPhone case to get more ...

Review: Speck Apple 3G iPhone Cases: CandyShell

Friday, May 14, 2010 , Posted by SmallVille at 6:35 AM

With the more recently announcement of Apple releasing the 3Gs iPhone what better way to protect your new investment by purchasing a good, sturdy case? I have used some of Speck’s products before but their newer CandyShell iPhone Cases have definitely peeked my interest in ensuring my iPhone stays clean and scratch free, but still allows it to stand out in the crowd of other iPhones.

Speck CandyShell iPhone Cases

Speck CandyShell Packages

I have been using my Speck SeeThru case for quite some time and was looking to upgrade to something a bit sturdier. I received notification that Speck release a new iPhone case called the CandyShell and when I looked at the initial photos, I thought that this might be a great upgrade to the SeeThru I was previously using.

My first impressions when I received my CandyShell cases were that not only would it protect against scratches and marks on the outer portion of my iPhone 3G, but it would would give my iPhone a more unique look. In fact, I still get people asking me what sort of phone and case combo do I have when I take my phone out.

Features of the CandyShell.

  • Fits iPhone 3G and iPhone 3Gs
  • Lightweight, one-piece design.
  • Colorful on the outside, rubberized on the inside
  • Includes screen protector with screen cloth
  • Easy access to ports and controls

The Speck CandyShell offers me the features I want in a case for my iPhone; uniqueness and protection.

Performance

Speck CandyShell

How does one measure performance on an object that is passive? Well in the case of the Speck CandyShell, placing your iPhone into it doesn’t take much effort. The corners are rubberized to allow a bit more flex when you put your iPhone into the case and take it out (if you ever need to). I would recommend applying the included screen protector prior to placing your iPhone into the CandyShell.

The case itself is a constructed of hard plastic with rubber corners. The rubber corners allow the harder plastic to flex when you first insert your phone, or ever need to take it out. The rubberized interior allows for protection against bumps and scratches. The CandyShell case also does not add much bulk either, which I think is important. I love that I can still easily slip my phone, with the case on, into a front pocket and be able to easily retrieve it when needed.

Speck CandyShell Bottom

The opening for the ports allows easy access for connecting your iPhone’s USB cable as well as headphones. There could be a little bit of an issue if you have a dock of some sort, but for me I haven’t had any issues.

Speck CandyShell Top

The headphone jack is also easily accessible in case you need to plug in a pair of headphones, or when you hook it up to an auxiliary port on a stereo or some similar device. The power button has a cover over it and does not allow for accidental button presses.

Speck CandyShell Side

When you need to access the mute/silent switch on the side, it can be a bit tricky with larger fingers. It also helps keep you from accidentally switching on mute/silent, which I used to do in the past. The volume buttons are similar to that of the power button, and you need to push a bit harder to make it work. Though I have had no issues pressing them and no fear of breaking it either.

Speck CandyShell Back

The back of the case also has a small opening for the camera of the iPhone. If the front of the camera gets a bit dirty, the case still has enough room that you can take a small cloth and remove any dirt or dust that might have settled over time.

When you go to apply the screen protector, make sure the surface of your iPhone’s screen is completely clean and free of any dust. I accidentally dropped my screen on the floor and spent a good 30 minutes using scotch tape to pull off the dust that stuck to it. It was easy to apply, and it was my first ever successful screen protector application. I have no bubbles and there is no loss in touch-sensitivity with the screen protector in place either.

Final Thoughts

Speck CandyShell Front

Overall I have always enjoyed using Speck products. Not only do they release new innovative cases for Apple’s iPhones but they also release some pretty cool protective cases for their Macbooks too.

Every time I bring out my phone, I get people asking me what phone I use because they have never seen one like it. People also ask me what case I use because it looks cool and they want one as well.

If you are looking for a great looking, good protection case for your Apple iPhone 3G or even that new iPhone 3Gs you have your eye on, I would highly recommend the CandyShell case from Speck. They also come in 4 great colour schemes too; Lemondrop Liqurorice, Keylime Jawbreaker (featured above), Cranberry White Truffle and Watermellon Gumball.

Pros

  • Unique Design
  • Included Screen Protector and Screen Cloth
  • Rubberized Interior for better shock absorption
  • Easy access to ports, buttons
  • Does not add bulk

Cons

  • Power and Volume buttons might be a bit harder to press
  • Mute/Silent Switch can be tricky to flip back and forth

Currently have 0 comments:

Leave a Reply

Post a Comment